I am pleased to announce that we have added Sao Paulo as another option in Brazil for shared, reseller, and VPS hosting!
As with our other location options, there are additional costs. These costs are as follows:
If you are interested in having your existing account migrated to a new location, you can fill out the form located in Backstage and our migrations team will be happy to take care of this for you. There is a one-time fee of $5 for us to migrate an existing account.
This link can be used to test a download from a server located at our Sao Paulo location. You can use this to determine how fast file downloads could be if you host from Sao Paulo.
Sao Paulo Test Download Link (30 MB file)
Use this IP address if you would like to see latency or trace information: 188.8.131.52
If you have any suggestions for locations, please let us know in the comments!
We’re in the penultimate month of the year, and I must say it has been a very productive year. We have gotten a lot done, including key internal projects, new products & services, and several operational improvements, all geared towards providing an awesome web hosting experience to our customers!
Here is a summary of some of the key things that we have been working on in the past month:
- Our new billing system is almost ready, and we have started beta testing it internally with our staff members! There is still a long way to go of course before it replaces our existing systems.
- As announced previously, we’re opening up our phone support to eventual 24×7 coverage. We’re looking for awesome customer support specialists to join our team – job vacancies are available for both phone support and email based support positions.
- We had rolled out a Favorites section in SiteAdmin that allows customers to quickly and easily access the pages that they use most often. Judging by feedback so far, the feature has been very well received by customers!
- We recently added goMobi’s mobile website building solution as an add-on to our services. If you don’t have a mobile website, we would recommend that you check it out as goMobi is the world’s leading mobile website building solution, allowing you to quickly have a mobile-optimized website.
- Our Technology team has been evaluating the Cloudflare cPanel plugin, and this will be launched soon on our fleet in a phased manner.
- We are testing cPanel 11.38 so that we can roll that out across our fleet before cPanel 11.36 reaches end of life in January 2014.
- We launched a redesigned Site5.com website. We hope you like the new look of our website!
- We’re rolling out Apache/PHP updates, and this time the process is entirely RPM based (using packages we built inhouse!). As a result, the upgrades should be quicker and less resource intensive. Some of the changes with this upgrade include support for PHP 5.4, with PHP 5.3 replacing 5.2 as the default PHP handler, PHP served via FastCGI, plus some tweaks for better performance!
- Once the Apache/PHP updates have finished, we will start the process of updating all of our servers to a newer version of Phusion Passenger (4.0 branch), as announced recently. This will most likely happen sometime in December, although we don’t have any official ETA yet. We will keep you updated of course!
That is all for now. The holiday season isn’t very far away, so I’ll leave you with this opportunity to add $100 to your holiday shopping budget :)
See you in the comments. Thanks!
We’re excited to announce a new Favorites section in SiteAdmin that will allow you to quickly and easily access the 5 pages you use most. To add a SiteAdmin page to your Favorites, click the “Add to Favorites” link in the upper right corner next to the “Hide/Show Help” toggle. Your newly added favorite will appear in the list above the left-side menu. To remove a Favorite, click the “X” icon next to the link in your Favorites list.
The Site5 team is very happy to announce that we are taking another step towards making building a web presence easier and faster than ever before. Today we are launching goMobi’s mobile website building solution as an add-on to our terrific services.
goMobi develops the leading mobile website building solution, making it incredibly easy for users to build a mobile-optimized website. Users can take advantage of features like dozens of templates and color schemes, video embeds, social sharing buttons, and even a “call us” button that makes it incredibly easy for visitors to contact them. We know that offering goMobi, backed by the Site5 team and hosting services, is a winning solution for your mobile presence!
To sign up for goMobi, just visit Backstage, click “Add-Ons,” and select “goMobi Mobile Website.” It’s a solution truly tailored to your needs.
If you have any questions, please ask!
We are giving away $100 dollars in Site5 credit to five lucky Site5 customers, how do you enter? Just take 5 minutes to fill out this easy survey and let us know what you think! Thanks!
I wanted to give a quick update about our Phusion Passenger and Ruby support. The initial work I mentioned previously to overhaul our packaging and deployment system is complete and those packages will be released to all servers soon. That lays the groundwork for the following changes…
We will begin the process of updating all servers to a newer version of Phusion Passenger (the 4.0 branch) in November. That deployment will allow you to use any version of Ruby — including 1.9 and 2.0 — inside your Rack-based applications (e.g. Rails).
We will then begin work on changing the default Ruby across our entire fleet from Ruby 1.8.7 to 1.9.3. You will receive ample notification for this change, but if your application only functions on Ruby 1.8.7, you will be able to change the Ruby version per-application and per-account (via .htaccess) using the PassengerRuby option available in Phusion Passenger 4. You can then compile your own version of Ruby 1.8 inside of your account for your legacy applications.
Additional work is also being done on improving the entire user Ruby environment to make it easy to install and maintain your Rubies and their gemsets. This part is still very much in the development stages, but we’ll have more information once it’s ready.
We would like to get the word out that two streams of WHCMS have been updated to v5.2.10 and 5.1.12. These are security releases that address specific privilege and SQL vulnerabilities. It is extremely important that you upgrade to the latest versions of WHMCS as soon as possible in order to protect your company and customers from this new vulnerability.
WHMCS has published more details regarding the vulnerability and fixes here. We urge all customers to log in and update their WHMCS installations to help keep their site, company, and customers secure! You may, or may not, also be requested to perform a small upgrade to your database during the process. This is minimal and completes very quickly in our experience.
To update your website from the WHMCS admin area:
- Login to the WHMCS Admin Panel
- Hover over the help menu
- Click the Check for Updates link
- Check to see if your version is different from the latest version. If it is, continue to the next section. If they are the same, you are already up to date and need not continue.
- To update your installation:
- If you purchased your license from Site5, please visit Backstage to download the latest version, and apply the update.
- If you purchased your WHMCS license elsewhere, please contact them for the latest version, and apply the update.
Thank you for your time, and we hope you stay diligent when future WHMCS updates are released!
It is October! Another month has flown by here at Site5, and our team has been working hard to bring lots of improvements to the forefront. We value you, and we know you host with Site5 because of how seriously we take the trust you put into us and our services.
Here are some things we have been working on during the past month:
- We’re hiring several staff members so that we can open up 24×7 phone support! If you’re interested in working for Site5, just head over to the Careers page and see if there’s a position and shift you’re right for!
- We are testing out some new website builders in order to offer our customers a more user friendly solution. More news will be forthcoming!
- The design team is working on another free WordPress theme.
- We officially launched Atlanta, GA as a new hosting location offering shared, reseller, and Managed VPS hosting!
- We just unveiled bulk pricing for our malware protection service, making it much easier for you to protect multiple websites/domains.
- We’re in the very early stages of investigating a couple of different outbound anti-spam solutions. It’s something we are interested in if we can find a solution that fits into our systems.
- The web server, PHP, and Ruby environments have been overhauled and standardized to allow for faster deploys, which in turn allows us to introduce new features and versions to you in a quicker fashion.
- Our new billing system is coming along nicely. The software development and web development teams are working on the user interface now, and we’re very excited to see it in action soon.
- SiteAdmin has received a few updates:
- Customers now have the ability to manage individual filters when logging into webmail (where you see the list of webmail client options).
- Email auto-responders can now be started and stopped.
- Customers can now use “@” shorthand as an origin in TXT records.
- Existing users can now change their password in the MySQL interface, making changing your password faster and more convenient.
It’s a long list, but we have the team in place to make it all happen! Until next month, I leave you with this:
“I want you to be everything that’s you, deep at the center of your being.”